Virginia Tech®home

Get Help

Virginia Tech encourages you to report abuse and to get any help you need. You have options for reporting abuse and/or finding support for you or a friend. It is important to know your resources. This page includes resources which are confidential or private, as well as off campus resources.

  • Go to a safe place and contact a friend or choose from one of the contacts listed above.
  • If possible, do not change clothes, shower, bathe, or brush your teeth. If you do, place clothing in a paper bag and take with you to the hospital.
  • Go to Carilion New River Valley Medical Center for a forensic Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam even if you think you do not have any injuries. Having a PERK examination will ensure there are no internal injuries and may protect you against sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. Schiffert Medical Center can’t do a PERK exam, but can provide Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) and pregnancy testing as well as emergency contraception.
  • You can have a PERK exam even if you do not make a police report. You will not be responsible for the cost of the exam.
  • If you think you want to make a report to police, the hospital will do a forensic exam to collect evidence, and can do a drug screen if you think you may have been drugged.
  • The hospital will contact the Women’s Resource Center of the NRV and an Emergency Advocate will meet you at the hospital to provide support and information. These services are free.
  • If you wish to contact the police at one of the numbers above both the Women’s Resource Center and the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech have advocates who will go with you to make the report.
  • Visit the links on the right side of this page to find out more about your reporting options.

Confidential Resource:

Confidential resources cannot share identifying information about you without your written consent. Exceptions can be made in response to court orders, when child or elder abuse is involved, or if there are serious threats to hurt one’s self or others.

Private Resource:

Private resources are required to report incidences to the Virginia Tech Title IX Coordinator. Other university departments may also be involved as a means to help survivors or protect the campus community.

Among Virginia Tech’s offices and departmentsmost offer privacy, NOT confidentiality, to those who report abuse.

See listings below for confidential and private resources.

Reporting Options

Virginia Tech Title IX Coordinators

Title IX Coordinator
Katie Polidoro
Director of Title IX Compliance

Student Conduct 


Virginia Tech Police (on campus) 
Emergency - 911

Non-Emergency - 540-382-4343
Online Report Form

General Information - 540-231-6411

Blacksburg Police Department (off campus) 
540-961-1150 (non-emergency)

Support Resources

*see definitions for Confidential and Private Resources at the top of the page.

Advocacy & Support

The Women’s Center at Virginia Tech 

Virginia Tech Cook Counseling Center 

The Women’s Resource Center of the New River Valley 
24 Hour Hotline - 540-639-1123
Administration Offices - 540-639-9592

Medical Treatment

Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
(PERK exam is available) 


Virginia Tech Schiffert Health Center
(PERK exam not available) 


Dean of Students 

Quick FAQs About Reporting Abuse

Many medical and support services are available to you free of charge or at a nominal cost. If you are concerned about medical costs and/or need financial assistance, contact the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech or the Women’s Resource Center of the NRV. Don’t let cost stop you from getting the support you need.

The Women’s Center is located just off-campus at 206 Washington Street (between Otey Street & Draper Road).

The Title IX Office is in the Office of Equity and Accessibility. It is located in Suite 2300 of the North End Center, at 300 Turner Street.

The Office of Student Conduct is located in New Hall West, Suite 141 (near Cochrane and Harper residence halls).

The Virginia Tech Police Department is located in the Sterrett Facilities Complex off of Southgate Road (behind Lane Stadium). There is also a satellite office in War Memorial Gym.

Virginia Tech encourages anyone who has been a victim of a crime to report to the police. You may have mixed feelings about whether or not to report. You may feel torn about not wanting to do anything and wanting to hold this person responsible so that he or she does not hurt you or anyone else again. You have the option of having an advocate from the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech or the Women’s Resource Center go with you. If you report a sexual assault that occurred on the Virginia Tech campus, Virginia Tech Police will investigate, provide assistance, and offer related services to support your safety and well-being. If the crime occurred in another jurisdiction, Virginia Tech Police will assist you in accessing assistance in that jurisdiction.

If you choose to report to the police, an officer will want to sit with you and ask detailed questions about what, where, when, and how the incident occurred. Many of these questions may be hard to answer and may feel invasive. The police officer will be trying to get as much information so that he/she can thoroughly investigate the case. If the assault occurred within the past 72 hours you will also have the option of having a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam done at the hospital. The police will also interview any other witnesses (this often includes the perpetrator). Once the police have investigated the case, they will present the evidence to the Commonwealth’s Attorney who will then decide if there is enough evidence to go to court. You have the right to share with the police what you would like to happen during a police investigation.

The Clery Act requires the Virginia Tech Police Department to provide crime alerts to the community when they learn of a crime that constitutes an ongoing or continuing serious threat to the university community. If a crime alert is issued, your name and personally identifying information will not be released; pertinent details about the crime may be released. If you have a question about a crime alert, talk to someone at the VTPD or the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech.

No. Virginia Tech and the Blacksburg police look to the ‘higher crime,’ which in this case would be the sexual assault. If you were violating a university alcohol policy or were drinking underage while you were assaulted, we encourage you to report the assault and be honest about your behavior. Giving the police and officials from the Office of Student Conduct all of the information, including information about drinking or drug use, can help them better understand what happened. If you have concerns, you can always talk with someone from the Women’s Center at Virginia Tech or the Women’s Resource Center of the NRV before talking with the police or Student Conduct.

Go to the hospital and ask for a PERK exam and a drug test. Tell the forensic nurse you think you were drugged and ask them to test for GHB and Rohypnol in addition to the drugs they routinely test for. Keep in mind that tests for most drugs must be done within 48-72 hours. If this time period has passed, it is not too late. Write down everything you can remember and consider reporting your suspicions to the police. For more information about alcohol and drugs and how they affect you, go to our sexual assault page.

Listen and believe your friend. Assure them what happened wasn’t their fault and keep the information private. For more information on how to help a friend go to our  Get Involved  page.

Visit the Get Educated link in the navigation above for more extensive information about different types of abuse.
For more information about resources and reporting an incident visit the links below.

Title IX Coordinator 

Women's Center

Office of Student Conduct 

Human Resources - Sexual Harassment and Discrimination